Excessive alcohol consumption increases blood pressure thus increases the risk of stroke. The current guideline for alcohol consumption is as follows:
If you drink alcohol, limit yourself to no more than:
- two drinks a day, to a weekly maximum of 10 for women
- three drinks a day, to a weekly maximum of 15 for men
“A drink” means:
- 341 mL / 12 oz (1 bottle) of regular strength beer (5% alcohol).
- 142 mL / 5 oz wine (12% alcohol).
- 43 mL / 1 1/2 oz spirits (40% alcohol).
For more information on excessive alcohol consumption, please visit the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario here.
References: Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario